In the Beginning…..
June 5, 1993- May 21, 1994 – Dream Ride for AIDS
A solo, self-contained bicycle tour by Mike Ridgeway to promote education efforts concerning HIV infection and AIDS.
“Although I get most of the notoriety for spending nearly a year on the road and making presentations all around the country, I know I couldn’t have done it without “the gang.” So a big thanks goes out to the original Dream Ride for AIDS folks; Pamela, Helen, Kathy, Chris, Rita, Pete & Patty, Jeannine, Jim, Scott & Christy, Monroe, Dennis, Mike, Bill, Sheri & Keith, Denise, Ben, Jeff, Sid, Dennis, Harold & Joni, Rich, and Tim. And I’m not leaving out my own family; Mom & Dad and Lynn & Val and their families all rallied around my cause and supported my efforts throughout the year-long journey.” ~ Mike Ridgeway, Founder and Exec. Director, Dream Ride Projects
May 19, 1995
As part of 12th Annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial and Mobilization, another SOLO and self-contained ride. This ride was just the perimeter of Lancaster County. The purpose was to promote The Betty Finney HIV/AIDS Memorial Garden, and honor county residents who had died battling this disease.
14 hours, 32 Minutes
Sept 8, 1995-October 25, 1995
In partnership with Statewide American Red Cross Chapters, a SOLO bicycle tour of the perimeter of the state of Pennsylvania. The purpose was to present HIV/AIDS presentations.
48 Days, 8 Hours, 30 Minutes
Sept. 9-Oct 7, 1996
A second SOLO PA state perimeter ride for AIDS awareness.
29 Days, 6 Hours, 10 minutes
Oct. 9- Oct. 12, 1996
First ‘Dream Ride for AIDS, The Road to the AIDS Quilt.’ Eight other cyclists joined Mike Ridgeway on a three-day bicycle trip to deliver quilt panels via bicycle to the 1996 AIDS Memorial Quilt display in Washington, D.C. on Columbus Day Weekend.
2 Days, 5 Hours, 17 Minutes
11 New Quilt Panels
Husa, Lisa, Nancy, Michele, Michelle, Mike, Randy, Tom, Tracey
May 1- May 4, 1997
Three cyclists, including Mike Ridgeway rode Lancaster county’s perimeter over four days. The project included AIDS quilt displays in Willow Street, Adamstown, Elizabethtown and Lancaster City. Three cyclists joined us from Elizabethtown, and we walked together at the Lancaster AIDS Walk.
3 Days, 2 Hours, 54 Minutes
Two Churches, One College, One Community AIDS Walk
Benjamin, Michele, Mike, Nancy, Tom, Tracey
August 29-Nov. 9, 1997
This SOLO cross-country bicycle tour carried eight newly made quilt panels to the original home of the NAMES Project in San Francisco. Michael Ridgeway rode alone. The panels were carried with a B.O.B. Trailer in tow.
72 days, 4 Hours, 5 Minutes
Participating 501c3 non Profit Organizations
Lancaster Charity List
- Beth Shalom Total Raised since 2003: $8,505
- Bethany Christian Services – Total Raised in 2013: $1440
- Bridge of Hope Lancaster and Chester Counties Total Raised since 2004: $74,675
- Dream Ride Projects Total Raised since 1995: $140,825
- Hope Within Ministries Total Raised since 2012: $3,078
- Hole In The Wall Gang Camp
- House on the Rock Family Ministries
- Kairos: School of Spiritual Formation Total Raised since 2012: $5,025
- KPETS – NEW FOR 2014
- Lancaster Mennonite School – Total Raised in 2013: $300
- Lancaster PA Pride – Total Raised in 2013: $250
- Millersville International House Total Raised since 2007: $9,500
- Millersville University American Dream Scholarship – NEW FOR 2014
- Nazareth Project Inc. Total Raised since 2000: $34,140
- New Hope Community Life Ministry Total Raised since 2007: $18,215
- No Longer Alone Ministries Total Raised since 2000: $200,650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Philhaven/CADD Total Raised since 2000: $54,861
- Red Rose Autoimmune Hepatitis Liver Foundation ($12,494.00)
- Tabor Community Services Total Raised Since 2000: $56,801
- Transitional Living Center Total Raised since 2000: $5,836
- United Disabilities Services Total Raised since 2003: $75,000
York Charity List
Previous Participating Agencies (since 1995)
- Arbor Place Total Raised since 2005: $40,562
- At Liberty – Total Raised in 2013: $300
- American Cancer Society ($500)
- American Diabetes (KIDS ON PUMPS) ($2000)
- The Anthony Robbins Foundation ($1000)
- CONTACT Lancaster Helpline ($5,000)
- Cornerstone Community Ministries Total Raised $7,000
- Council on Drug & Alcohol Abuse ($3000)
- Eastern Mennonite Missions ($300)
- Friendship Community Total Raised since 1995: $85,536
- Humane League of Lancaster County
- Keystone Pet Enhanced Therapy Services ($480)
- Lancaster Area Habitat for Humanity ($3,000)
- LAVORP – Lancaster Area Victim Offender Reconciliation Program ($7000)
- LightShine Ministries ($2,998)
- Love INC Total Raised since 2009: $2,930
- Mental Health America of Lancaster County (formerly Compeer) – Total Raised since 2002: $22,000
- Mom’s House
- Sanctuary – A Light in the Darkness, Inc.
- S. June Smith Center ($2000)
- Southeast Lancaster Health Services Total Raised since 2012: $1,305
- Team Shana